Antonio: Differences between BORLAND and VCC

Re: Antonio: Differences between BORLAND and VCC

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Wed May 30, 2018 6:41 pm

Tim, I made some speed compare test between BCC 7.30 and MSVC 2017 and found the former much faster (I'm referring to dbf and index operations). And as a bonus, BCC generates smaller EXEs. That's why I'm using BCC.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby TimStone » Wed May 30, 2018 7:17 pm

I generally find speed is not a real time issue, but I have noted that doing an Index on a pure Win 10 machine version an Apple running Parallels with Win 10, the Apple is MUCH faster. I have no idea why.
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Rick Lipkin » Thu May 31, 2018 2:24 pm

To All

Generally I prefer BCC .. and Enrico is correct ... BCC creates a smaller .exe .. again, not a big deal.... but I like the C++ Command line concept. I work also for a small computer shop and when I am not writing code .. I help out with the technical aspect of the retail business.

I have stated many times that I despise dot net especially because there are SO MANY security patches for the dot net client ( framework ) .. and trying to keep up with dot net ver 1.1, 2, 3.5, 4.6,4.7 ..

When was the last time someone gen'd up a Windows 7 sp1 Operating system from scratch ? .. did you know a Fresh Install of Windows 7 has over 90+ security and upgrade patches to the dot net client ( after sp1 ) .. you know how long it takes to run all those updates ? .. and dot net is like 'turning to the dark side' .. you start down the dot net path .. the mindless 'pollution' of patches and monthly dot net roll-ups just keep coming and are a pain in the _ss.

With that said .. I like how Microsoft has changed 'patch Tuesday' and how they release updates for Windows 10 .. generally there is a consolidated roll-up every month that updates and supersedes the last cumulative roll up .. one and done..

When I saw the MSVC2017 command line compiler available I thought I would give it a try since I did NOT have to install Visual Studio... I must admit it took a while ( especially with Cristobol's guidance ... many thanks ) to help me modify the BuildxM build script ... I took what I learned from BuildxM and applied that to creating a new xMate FwhMsvc.env ( environment ) to allow me to re-compile all my major applications .. just switch between my BCC and MSVC environments and I can compile my apps any way I like .. with just a change in xMate environments... ( you must maintain both (x)Harbour for BCC and MSVC2017 compilers on your machine )

Now I have a choice BCC or MSVC without having to pollute my machine ( or set up a special Virtual Machine ) and NO NEED for Visual Studio ... NOW, I can make a comparison ( as enrico mentions ) on speed of execution, reliability, new MSVC libs ( perhaps with better security ) .. and head to head, so far I still prefer BCC to MSVC .. all without having to install Visual Studio ..

Just my 2 cents worth .. the bottom line is all about the ability of choice .. FWH is a remarkable product ( thank you Antonio ) which has the flexibility to work with Harbour, xHarbour, BCC and MSVC ... and now as a developer, with minimal effort .. I can chose to use either C++ compilers ( with minimal over-head ) with just the flip of a switch.

Rick Lipkin

ps ... FiveEdit ( i believe ) can also compile with MSVC2015-17 or BCC ( thanks cristobol )
Rick Lipkin

Previous

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour