PROBLEMS ??? installing new Windows 8 - release

Re: PROBLEMS !!! installing new Windows 8 - release

Postby norberto » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:34 am

Windows 8 has a set of security already included, in addition to being safer than the previous ones, even if you use the internet explorer Metro version, it offers more protection.
But if you want more ,have norton internet security, norton 360, mcaffe, avg antivirus, look up in the marketplace for antivírus , in some week more are comming.

Windows 8 have Zip and ISO included, you dont need 3rd party, to img i guess O&O have some compatible, are you try to Windows 7 IMG programs? dont work?

for many years I used Kaspersky as AV/Firewall, and he seems to have a beta version for Windows 8, but as I was changing, I decided it was time to change the AV too, I am testing the Norton (NIS) 2013, it has a Windows version 8 and a control panel in Metro UI.
norberto

Postby TimStone » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:59 pm

EMG,

In the past it was quite a bit of work. It is much easier now. However, in the past I would backup my data ( which is done each day automatically on 2 different drives ). I would then make a stack of DVD's with the programs to install. I reinstalled Windows with a full format first. ( This makes sure my tracks are all aligned under the head, so I get best reads ... and no spurious data ). Then I would install programs. I only installed the ones I was currently using. That always helped. I had the disks for the others if I needed them. Then I copied the data back.

Now it is much easier. I have downloadable installs, or web based installs, for most software. I can keep everything on DVD's and/or the backup drive. I can completely load a new computer now in about 3 hours with everything I need. I'm using Office 2013 ... it installs from the web. I have my UE Studio, FW, Harbour, and some supplemental programs in a directory on my 2 TB backup drives. I also have the full install for Visual Studio 2012 and Visual Expression Suite on that drive. Once I plug in the drive, its time to run a few installs from it onto the new machine, then copy my data folders from the drive ( all programming, distribution, etc are in these ), and I go to work. Documents, photos, etc. are now in the cloud and synchronized locally.

We try so many things in our work, and so many programs we try, and discard, do not clean out properly. This makes it so much easier.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Tim,

I have all that I need (that doesn't require installation) on my e: hard disk. But the problem is that I also use 23 programs that need to be installed and configured. :-( How to speed up the reinstall in my case?

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:10 pm

And, by the way, I have my XP since 2007, never reinstalled it and still works like a charm. :-)

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby norberto » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:11 pm

EMG,

im not Tim, :D , but i guess if you are using Windows 7, you remain yours appl in upgrade to win8. only in XP and Vista you lose then.

regards
norberto

Postby modicr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Enrico Maria Giordano wrote:I'm using XP. :-(

AFAIK the only way to keep software is to do it by steps: :roll:
1. upgrade NT 5.* to 6.0: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... dows-Vista
2. upgrade NT 6.0 to 6.1: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... 7?T1=tab03

Before the process I recommend to update printer drivers (or remove printers), update AV/FW software, remove graphics drivers, and so on ...

Cheers, Roman

P.S. It's good to align partitions to 2048 first, because MS changed this in NT 6.0!!! I usually do it with BootIt Bare Metal (with commands resize and slide):
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=546
Due to the cache manager and paging file, it's probably best that you align your partitions (particularly on heavily used servers/systems). You can use BootIt Bare Metal to align your new or existing partitions by enabling its global Align on 2048 Sectors option
© I'm not patented!
modicr

Postby TimStone » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:41 pm

EMG,

If everything works fine, don't change it.

I generally replace each computer every 2 years. I have to do that to stay current for my clients as they upgrade their business machines. My computers are a tool I use to earn a living so I can't risk failures.

I then reformat the old machine, reinstall the OS, and install that software I want on it ... so it is like a new computer ... and then give it to someone who needs it. Sometimes its a family member, and other times it may be a charity in need.

Tim
Tim Stone
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 pm

modicr wrote:AFAIK the only way to keep software is to do it by steps: :roll:

:shock:

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 pm

TimStone wrote:EMG,

If everything works fine, don't change it.

I generally replace each computer every 2 years. I have to do that to stay current for my clients as they upgrade their business machines. My computers are a tool I use to earn a living so I can't risk failures.

Me too. But despite of this it's not that simple to change PC, at least for me. :-(

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby ukoenig » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Enrico,

moving to Windows 8 all my old existing Programs, is the most frustrating thing I have ever done.
As long You work with Your old System without any problems, keep it, or You have a lot of time for testing.
Because of grafic-design, I need / use many different Tools. I just reached 30 % of reinstalling my old Apps.
Many of them don't work anymore. You see just a short screen-flickering and Windows crashes completely.
No error-message nothing to find out the reason. Just a message to send the crash-docs to Microsoft.
The next Problem : until now, NO working updates are offered for the tools.
That means to carry on working, I have to move back to my 2. Computer with old Windows.
A sample : I used a filemanager with included FPT. I downloaded the newest Version for testing
before ordering a update. Result : crashes
How I have to install : 1. install, 2. test, 3. install the next or remove the installed App..
You can Image all these testings takes a lot of time.
Until now, I'm not sure, that I will get a complete working System.

FWH, with the needed Tools works without any problems.
Also Pixelformer and Borland-Workshop.
That means, I can compile and create the Exe-files.
No Problems detected in this area.

To get some system-help, I just bought TUNEUP-UTILITIES for Windows 8.
This tool detects many problems and works fine.

Best Regards
Uwe :cry:
Since 1995 ( the first release of FW 1.9 )
i work with FW.
If you have any questions about special functions, maybe i can help.
ukoenig

Postby Gale FORd » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:26 pm

I have found VMWare to be a big help. Keep your development machine running/stable the way you want and then test your software under other virtual machines.
Gale FORd

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:44 pm

ukoenig wrote:Enrico,

moving to Windows 8 all my old existing Programs, is the most frustrating thing I have ever done.

:-(

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby TimStone » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Remember, if you installed 64 bit Windows, and your tools are 16 bit ( many are ), then they will not work ! This is no different than previous versions of Windows. The same was true with Win 7 and even with Vista. The 32 bit versions work with 16 bit software, but not 64 bit machines.
Tim Stone
TimStone

Postby ukoenig » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Tim,

yes I noticed installing Borlands-resource-Workshop
Windows added a 16 Bit-engine ( I'm using the 32 bit Version ).
With FWH, I could not detect any problems and until now, everything works fine.
It is just installing Apps without any comments from the manufacturer if it will work with Window 8.
Windows just crashes without any error-messages.
On reboot, Windows shows a problem-message and You can send 3 files to Microsoft.
I listed these files, but don't know the meaning.

I think selling a new computer with a tested Application, it will be ok
but for a programmer like me, using many tools working together,
it is nearly impossible to get them completely installed.
Maybe in 1 Year, everybody made his tool compatible.

I think I will stop installing at this Point.
I can work and test FWH together with Windows 8
Creating special things, I can move to another Computer and must check,
if there will be needed updates in the future to install them step by step.

Best Regards
Uwe :lol:
Since 1995 ( the first release of FW 1.9 )
i work with FW.
If you have any questions about special functions, maybe i can help.
ukoenig

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour