FiveWin Wiki

Postby xProgrammer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi Antonio

Thanks for the syntax highlight. I was wondering what might be available. Developing a fw version would seem to be the best idea but <code clipper> as you have it seems to be doing a pretty neat job in the meantime.

The TWindow documentation is now fairly complete apart from the type of some of the method returns. However it needs a link to information about how to lay out a TWindow or a TDialog either programmatically (the approach I use) or using glade. Also other programming tips such as how to center a dialog. I will probably do this after I have documented the remaining FiveLinux classes.

I think that the format its in is pretty OK but I would be interested in any feedback from people looking at it. We can then produce a stub layout if anyone wants to document FiveWin classes in the same format and / or change my format before I do the remaining FiveLinux classes. It would be nice to have a fairly consistent format.

Where there is both a FiveLinux class and a FiveWin class it might be possible to largely do a cut / paste/ careful edit. But of course FiveWin has considerably more classes to document than FiveWin and I think that many of them are more feature (method and possibly data) rich.

Regards
Doug
xProgrammer

Postby Antonio Linares » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:06 am

Doug,

The idea that we have in mind is to automatically migrate all the FiveTech manuals from current CHM format to the wiki format, this way we could focus on complete what it may be missing and to expand to new possibilities, like examples, FAQs, resources, etc.

In a near future, the wiki may become the best source of documentation for the FiveTech products. We could even generate the CHM files from it, and even the printed manuals :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby xProgrammer » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:57 am

Hi Antonio

I'm not sure from your last post if you want me to continue documenting the FiveLinux classes or not. Let me know one way or the other.

I was drawing from the source code, the existing documentation, the samples and my experience and trying to put everything about a particular class together as a programmer's reference.

Uniformity would be a great asset as would the ability to convert to a downloadable and preferably printable form. But presumably whilst thinking along these lines shouldn't much of this be able to be automatically generated from suitably annotated source. Pretty much along the lines of the GTK+ project. In brief /* *? signifies a normal comment, /** */ signifies a comment that should be included in the documentation. Their utility is designed around C source. I haven't tried to reproduce yet for xBase but it shouldn't prove to be too difficult. I have, however, started to comment some of my code in this style with such an approach in mind. I'm hoping that (x)Harbour plus FiveLinux/FiveWin will become more than just a great programming language but a wonderful total development environment for the entire project life cycle.

Regards
Doug
xProgrammer

Postby Antonio Linares » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:00 am

Dear Doug,

Of course that we want and need your help! :-)

The idea is to use the existing documentation as a starting point, so we reuse the work that it is already done.

Of course, your proposal of using embedded docs from the sources are a great idea, but actually its a work to be done for the FiveTech products.

Actually we have already updated the wiki, trying to use a common format that may help us to quickly document future new products, and to reuse its structure from one product to another. Please have a look at the wiki again :-)

http://wiki.fivetechsoft.com (for other readers) :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby norberto » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:41 am

Antonio,

norberto@windowslive.com

thanks
norberto

Postby xProgrammer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:46 am

Hi Antonio

Its looking good!

Not sure if you want Harbour documentation too but I put up a test for you to look at when you get a chance. I've put it under fivelinux for the purpose of a test but it should probably go in its own section if you want it.

Regards
Doug

PS Client server project is coming along nicely.
xProgrammer

Postby xProgrammer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:53 am

Hi Antonio

One other question. When you created contents page for fivelinux there were many classes listed that I thought were fivewin only. I assume that this is just because of a cut and paste issue or am I missing out on something?

Regards
Doug
xProgrammer

Postby Antonio Linares » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:31 am

Doug,

Yes I have seen your Harbour new entry. Its fine :-)

Yes, copy and paste. Now those that are not available will be pointed to "not available yet" or similar
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Antonio Linares » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:31 am

Norberto,

I need your last name too, thanks
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Barnes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi Antonio,

Sign me up :-)

I'm away this week on a business trip but can start when I get back (maybe even during the nights while I'm away if I have internet access)
Thanks,
Jeff Barnes

(FWH 16.11, xHarbour 1.2.3, Bcc730)
Jeff Barnes

Postby Antonio Linares » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:46 pm

Jeff,

You should have received an email with your login and password, thanks! :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Antonio Linares » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:12 pm

Doug,

You could use the page name harbour_functions_... as they will be the same for all the products. No need to use fivelinux_... in front of it :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby xProgrammer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi Antonio

You could use the page name harbour_functions_... as they will be the same for all the products. No need to use fivelinux_... in front of it

Yes - much better - I just wanted your approval first.

I have been working on fivelinux-tsay but it seems that something has changed and I can't upload images. In fact all those little buttons at the top of the edit page screen are just minute boxes with no icons in them. You can just click on them but they don't work. Clicking on the fourth one from the right hand end (the one for uploading images) I get the following error message:

The requested URL /lib/exe/media.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8g DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at fivetechsoft.com Port 80

Any clues?
xProgrammer

Postby Antonio Linares » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:44 pm

Doug,

You have to access the wiki from here:

http://wiki.fivetechsoft.com

and then it will work fine. Please check that you are not taken to www.fivetechsoft.com/wiki or you will have those troubles, thanks
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby xProgrammer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:09 am

Thanks Antonio

My mistake. I have started putting up documentation on TSay so I get a fuller feel for what's required, best way to set it out etc. And I'm learning a lot (and learning just how much I don't know) in the process.

I have to go critically through the inherited properties and more particularly methods as they might be inherited by a class but be irrelevant or effectively non functional - for example if there is no signal connect for that class.

I did write the following little test program

Code: Select all  Expand view
// testsay2.prg
    #include "FiveLinux.ch"
    FUNCTION Main()
       LOCAL oDlg
       LOCAL oSay
       DEFINE DIALOG oDlg TITLE "FiveLinux TSay Example 2"
       @ 3, 1 SAY "Hello World" OF oDlg SIZE 120, 25
       @ 6, 1 SAY oSay PROMPT "A" OF oDlg
       oSay:bLClicked := { | | MsgInfo( "Clicked on Say" ) }
       oDlg:bLClicked := { | | MsgInfo( "Clicked on Window" ) }
       ACTIVATE DIALOG oDlg CENTERED
    RETURN nil

I expected at least the oDlg:bLCicked to work. Should it? Maybe its the modifications I have made to the standard libraries (although I don't think so)

Speaking of my modifications I am documenting the classes in their standard form but there are a number of modifications I have made (with your help) that I think are very worthwhile and I suggest that should be added to the standard libraries. Most notably the methods for setting colors for controls and for controlling the alignment of TSays. Also I would like to see a CLASSDATA added to TWindow that says all NRow and nCol are to be taken as pixel values to save having to type PIXEL as part of every @ nRow, nCol command.

Regards
Doug
xProgrammer

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour