RegEnumValue - Win98

RegEnumValue - Win98

Postby Davide » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:08 pm

Hello guys,

this function seems not working on Win98 (it's ok on Vista). The sample Regenum.prg simply doesn't show any MsgInfo (even though the Values are there obviously)

Is there any alternative way to enumerate values on Win98, or perhaps, Antonio, could you please fix it ?

Thanks,
Davide
FWH 7.10 Bcc 5.5
Davide

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:06 pm

Davide,

If you review RegEnumValue() documentation:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724865(VS.85).aspx

you will see that it is not supported in Win98:
"Requires Windows Vista, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 Professional."
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Api-Function

Postby ukoenig » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:52 pm

Antonio,

I had a look in the Internet and found this :

RegEnumValue

The RegEnumValue function enumerates the values for the specified open registry key. The function copies one indexed value name and data block for the key each time it is called.

LONG RegEnumValue(
HKEY hKey, // handle to key to query
DWORD dwIndex, // index of value to query
LPTSTR lpValueName, // value buffer
LPDWORD lpcValueName, // size of value buffer
LPDWORD lpReserved, // reserved
LPDWORD lpType, // type buffer
LPBYTE lpData, // data buffer
LPDWORD lpcbData // size of data buffer
);
Parameters
hKey
[in] Handle to a currently open key or one of the following predefined keys:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_USERS

Windows NT/2000/XP: HKEY_PERFORMANCE_DATA
-----------------------------------------------------------

Windows 95/98/Me: HKEY_DYN_DATA
--------------------------------------------

The enumerated values are associated with the key identified by hKey.

dwIndex
[in] Specifies the index of the value to retrieve. This parameter should be zero for the first call to the RegEnumValue function and then be incremented for subsequent calls.
Because values are not ordered, any new value will have an arbitrary index. This means that the function may return values in any order.

lpValueName
[out] Pointer to a buffer that receives the name of the value, including the terminating null character.
lpcValueName
[in/out] Pointer to a variable that specifies the size, in TCHARs, of the buffer pointed to by the lpValueName parameter. This size should include the terminating null character. When the function returns, the variable pointed to by lpcValueName contains the number of characters stored in the buffer. The count returned does not include the terminating null character.
lpReserved
Reserved; must be NULL.
lpType
[out] Pointer to a variable that receives a code indicating the type of data stored in the specified value. For a list of the possible type codes, see Registry Value Types. The lpType parameter can be NULL if the type code is not required.
lpData
[out] Pointer to a buffer that receives the data for the value entry. This parameter can be NULL if the data is not required.
lpcbData
[in] Pointer to a variable that specifies the size, in bytes, of the buffer pointed to by the lpData parameter. When the function returns, the variable pointed to by the lpcbData parameter contains the number of bytes stored in the buffer. This parameter can be NULL, only if lpData is NULL.
Return Values
If the function succeeds, the return value is ERROR_SUCCESS.

If the function fails, the return value is a nonzero error code defined in Winerror.h. You can use the FormatMessage function with the FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM flag to get a generic description of the error.

Remarks
To enumerate values, an application should initially call the RegEnumValue function with the dwIndex parameter set to zero. The application should then increment dwIndex and call the RegEnumValue function until there are no more values (until the function returns ERROR_NO_MORE_ITEMS).

The application can also set dwIndex to the index of the last value on the first call to the function and decrement the index until the value with index 0 is enumerated. To retrieve the index of the last value, use the RegQueryInfoKey function.

While using RegEnumValue, an application should not call any registration functions that might change the key being queried.

The key identified by the hKey parameter must have been opened with KEY_QUERY_VALUE access. To open the key, use the RegCreateKeyEx or RegOpenKeyEx function.

To determine the maximum size of the name and data buffers, use the RegQueryInfoKey function.

Windows 95/98/Me: No registry subkey or value name may exceed 255 characters.

Windows 95/98/Me: RegEnumValueW is supported by the Microsoft Layer for Unicode. To use this, you must add certain files to your application, as outlined in Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Windows 95/98/Me Systems.

Example Code
For an example, see Using the Registry.

Requirements
Windows NT/2000/XP: Included in Windows NT 3.1 and later.
Windows 95/98/Me: Included in Windows 95 and later.
Header: Declared in Winreg.h; include Windows.h.
Library: Use Advapi32.lib.
Unicode: Implemented as Unicode and ANSI versions on Windows NT/2000/XP. Also supported by Microsoft Layer for Unicode.

In Borland BCC55 i had a look at winreg.h
Maybe it is because of UNICODE ???

WINADVAPI
LONG
APIENTRY
RegEnumValueA (
IN HKEY hKey,
IN DWORD dwIndex,
OUT LPSTR lpValueName,
IN OUT LPDWORD lpcbValueName,
IN LPDWORD lpReserved,
OUT LPDWORD lpType,
OUT LPBYTE lpData,
IN OUT LPDWORD lpcbData
);
WINADVAPI
LONG
APIENTRY
RegEnumValueW (
IN HKEY hKey,
IN DWORD dwIndex,
OUT LPWSTR lpValueName,
IN OUT LPDWORD lpcbValueName,
IN LPDWORD lpReserved,
OUT LPDWORD lpType,
OUT LPBYTE lpData,
IN OUT LPDWORD lpcbData
);
#ifdef UNICODE
#define RegEnumValue RegEnumValueW
#else
#define RegEnumValue RegEnumValueA
#endif // !UNICODE

Regards
Uwe :lol:
Last edited by ukoenig on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Since 1995 ( the first release of FW 1.9 )
i work with FW.
If you have any questions about special functions, maybe i can help.
ukoenig

Postby Davide » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:56 pm

Antonio,

this MS sample uses it in Win9x: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175329

Hi,
Davide
Davide

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour