Xharbour and .net

Xharbour and .net

Postby Nop » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:01 pm

HI, xharbour works with last .net framework? thanks
Nop

Postby Antonio Linares » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:25 pm

Norberto,

AFAIK, Harbour neither xHarbour work with .NET.

I started a very early .NET implementation with Harbour, generating .NET virtual machine output for very simple tests, but no one else got involved in its development.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Nop » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:15 pm

Antonio, why? there´s no demand for this? thanks
Nop

Postby Rick Lipkin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:00 pm

To All

Dot Net works great for web applications where you have the .net framework installed in a controlled environment .. BUT .. I live in a world where I have over 5000 desktops in State Gov and to me .. creating ( any ) application that relies on a 'runtime' is a infrastructure nightmare.

Please correct me if I am wrong ..

Rick Lipkin
SC Dept of Health, USA
Rick Lipkin

Postby Antonio Linares » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:49 pm

Rick,

I fully agree with you :-)

Norberto,

It seems that there is not very much interest in it, or I guess that some more people would have been involved in the development that I started.

Anyhow there is already a .NET xbase solution (Cule): http://www.softwareperspectives.com/cul ... x?tabid=54
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Rick Lipkin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:18 pm

Antonio

Vista comes with the .net framework 3 .. however, I have some GIS applications from ESRI ArcGis Explorer for example .. that have to use the framework 2 .. don't really know if that is compatable with the framework 3 .. in anycase .. keeping up with different ( perhaps incompatable versions ) of the framework runtime is not my idea of deploying an app that will run on any desktop.

One of the GREAT things about ADO is that the ole drivers are part of the Windows OS and have been since at least Win2000. Writing a Win32 app and deploying it to a SQL backend is so much easier than having to rely on a runtime framework for an enterprise application.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rick Lipkin
SC Dept of Health, USA
Rick Lipkin

Postby Randal » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:12 am

Rick,

What sql back end do you prefer?

Regards,
Randal
Randal

Postby Rick Lipkin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:55 pm

Randal

We have a tremendious investment in Microsoft and are under an EA ( enterprise agreement ) .. MS Sql 2005 is what I have been working with for the backend and the 2005 Mgmt Studio for doing DBA stuff.

Will soon be moving the server and database to 64 bits to take advantage of the extra memory and processing speed.

Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby Randal » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:04 pm

Rick,

How would you compare the performance between dbfcdx and sql using ADO?

Thanks,
Randal

Rick Lipkin wrote:Randal

We have a tremendious investment in Microsoft and are under an EA ( enterprise agreement ) .. MS Sql 2005 is what I have been working with for the backend and the 2005 Mgmt Studio for doing DBA stuff.

Will soon be moving the server and database to 64 bits to take advantage of the extra memory and processing speed.

Rick Lipkin
Randal

Postby Rick Lipkin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:56 pm

Randal

I still use dbfcdx in combination with ADO and sqloledb. Dbfcdx is for local LAN apps .. not made at all for Client\server .. just too many corruption problems over a wide area network.

ADS works just fine .. I have no problems there .. but I like the ability to use a small client executable distributed out over ( perhaps ) 100 LANs and they all connect to a MS Sql server. ( again .. nothing wrong with ADS ) ..

SQL server and ADO gives you some unique features of caching the local recordsets into a cursor on the workstation. The workstation now has a working set ( in memory ) of all the rows you asked for and can run those in local memory with blazing speed .. List boxes scroll so effortless .. up and down .. top and bottom and the only overhead is the cost of your record fetch.

Once you get over the initial mindset of giving up on indexes .. shaping your SQL queries and optimizing them is the only limitation to your performance.

Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby don lowenstein » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:44 pm

What is ADO?

We use Mediator for our backend servers, but I would like to wean myself from those license fees, if possible.
Don Lowenstein
www.laapc.com
don lowenstein

Postby Rick Lipkin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:15 am

Don

ADO is a way of connecting to SQL databases .. access, ms sql, oracle .. xHarbour has a set of methods from the Win32ole class native to both xHarbour and Harbour

I wrote a basic ADO 101 thread :

http://fivetechsoft.com/forums/viewtopi ... hlight=ado

Also .. you can put ADO in the search on this forum and find a wealth of information .. start with the above link.

Enrico G is one of the ADO masters .. also the FREE ADORDD is a very simple and powerful way of getting started in a rdd with familiar syntax.

Rick Lipkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby don lowenstein » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:52 pm

Rick,

This seems like good news for us. I'm most curious about the ADORDD -

Does this RDD seamlessly insulate legacy code when it comes to basic Clipper database navagation commands and functions work? SEEK, LOCATE, USE, GOTO #, GOTOP, GOBOTTOM, recno(), dbseek(), dbgotop(), etc. If these all work properly on the MS-SQL database, that would in turn minimize the changes to legacy code.

How is the reliability? Are there any known "watch out for this stuff" issues when it comes to legacy code and traditional xBase .dbf navation commands?

Our new development, especially the web stuff, uses xHarbour and Mediator RDD (MEDNTX) to run our apps on MS-SQL Server databases. It has been very reliable, however, the Mediator fees accumulate quickly when deploying to multiple clients.

I really appreciate your input. Thanks.
Don Lowenstein
www.laapc.com
don lowenstein

Postby Rick Lipkin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:09 pm

Don

Antonio can probably answer most of your questions .. ADORDD is available for download from this forum .. see the Sticky at the top of the list ..

ADORDD is basically 'wrappers' of the WinOle32 class that allows you to use your regular familiar xbase syntax in opening, navigating, seek\locate of SQL tables.

Download the ADORDD and look at the examples .. also take a look at adordd.ch and adordd.prg.

Here is a quick sample of using AdoRdd in opening a ms sql table ..

Rick Lipkin

cFROM := "WEBDB02"
cUSER := "drugcontroluser"
cPSW := "r2x6j3q4"
cDBF := "DRUGCONTROLtest"
cTABLE := "USERINFO"

TRY

SELECT 1
USE (AllTrim(cDbf)) VIA "ADORDD" TABLE AllTrim(cTable) SQL ;
FROM AllTrim(cFrom) USER AllTrim(cUser) PASSWORD AllTrim(cPsw)

CATCH oERR
MsgInfo( "Error in Opening USERINFO table" )
oDlg:End()
RETURN(.F.)
END TRY
Rick Lipkin

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour