PROBLEMS ??? installing new Windows 8 - release

Re: PROBLEMS !!! installing new Windows 8 - release

Postby TimStone » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Stefan,

You have confused me. Win 8 RT ( Modern ) is designed to take advantage of a full screen with one APP, just like iOS ... but it does allow a single split screen ( which iOS cannot do ).

If you are running multiple apps, then you use Desktop and you can run as many apps as you want. iOS can't do that. You need to use Mac OS, on a "desktop" ... same thing.

So, the Apple solution requires two different devices. The Win 8 solution gives you both options in one device !

That's not progress ?

It only takes one keystroke to switch between Desktop and RT / Modern. BTW, if I have an app running in RT, then work on my desktop, when I go back to my RT app, its at the exact place where I left it ... perhaps in the middle of a message or a doc I started ! Also, with dual monitors, I can have RT on one and Desktop on the other.

Of course the guys who are providing all the "I like this" comments are the ones who are actually using it all day every day !

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Re: PROBLEMS ??? installing new Windows 8 - release

Postby ukoenig » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Norberto,

creating System-Images of Windows8, works fine and very fast.
It is my second one I created ( I keep them on a external drive )
I noticed in just a few days, Microsoft produces updates very fast.
My first backup : 3.379.834
My second backup : 4.941.291
I think, we should keep this toppic alive for a spell.
Maybe there will be some undocumented tips and tricks of FWH-users
or any downloadlinks of some useful tools in the still early days
of the official release of Windows8.

Best Regards
Uwe :lol:
Since 1995 ( the first release of FW 1.9 )
i work with FW.
If you have any questions about special functions, maybe i can help.
ukoenig

Postby norberto » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Are you "liking" now, after the troubles? more fast?
norberto

Postby ukoenig » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Noberto,

I've been always afraid, to start again installing, because of any unknown problems.
With the System-backup-solution, I can go step by step.

Maybe useful :
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

I updated / ordered the following products

1. Speedcommander 14 ( the best filemanager with included FPT-client ) 28,95 Euro
2. Snagit 11 ( Screencapture with everything You need ) 47,95 Euro
3. Tune Up Utilities 2013 ( Checks Your system for any errors ) 29,95 Euro

Best Regards
Uwe :lol:
i work with FW.
ukoenig

Postby TimStone » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 am

I do have SnagIt, but I do not do ANY utilities. My experience with them has not been good. My files are in directories so that manages them well. The tune up programs never keep up with the changes Microsoft is providing, so they may create issues rather than fix them.
Tim Stone
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby StefanHaupt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 am

Norberto,

Windows 8 have the best multi-monitor build in. to do it, it simple: with mouse, click on top of screen and move to left or right.

Ok, maybe, I cannot test it, my testsystem has only one monitor. But nevertheless I don´t like software running in fullscreen mode. My resolution here is 3840x1200 (1920x1200 per monitor), there is enough place to two or more applications without fullscreen.
kind regards
Stefan
StefanHaupt

Postby StefanHaupt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:12 am

Tim,

TimStone wrote:You have confused me. Win 8 RT ( Modern ) is designed to take advantage of a full screen with one APP, just like iOS ... but it does allow a single split screen ( which iOS cannot do ).

Yes, on a tablet or smartphone fullscreen is ok, but not on my desktop. My daily work is on on desktop and there I don´t need and I don´t want fullscreen applications. The possibility to have a splitscreen is indeed an advantage over iOs or android.

If you are running multiple apps, then you use Desktop and you can run as many apps as you want. iOS can't do that.

Real apps startet in desktop mode do also run in fullscreen, only "normal" applications run in windows. Or am I not right ?

So, the Apple solution requires two different devices. The Win 8 solution gives you both options in one device !
That's not progress ?

Yes, that´s progress, I can´t resist to agree, but only on tablets and touchscreens. I don´t see any progress for my work on a desktop PC, sorry.

Of course the guys who are providing all the "I like this" comments are the ones who are actually using it all day every day !

I think, every praise or critcism depends on way we do our work and on our personal habits.

Micosoft forces the users to change their habits and their kind of work. That´s not very userfriendly and for the companies it´also a matter of cost to train the employees every time the software changes.
The last days I read an article in a computermagazin (Channelpartner), that companies with 500 computer or more do mainly still use XP. That´s meaningful, isn´t it ?
Around the half of the secretaries in our department still uses Office 2003, because they can handle it very easily and quickly. And that´s the point, you don´t have to look for functions, you know where they are. A secretary, who is always searching for functions can´t do her work. Every week I hear statements like this: "Please can help me, I don´t find .... It´s horrible" from users who updated to office 2010.

I think, MS is going the wrong way, they should let decide the users, how they will work. It´s really no problem to have an option "start with metro or desktop" and "Startbutton enabled / disabled".
I´m sure, under these conditions Win8 would be succesful, but now I don´t think so. But time will show ....
kind regards
Stefan
StefanHaupt

Postby ukoenig » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:55 am

Stefan,

it is easy, to open Windows8 straight away in desktop-mode
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

After install, You will see a new Button :

With right mouseclick, You can open the Config-menue :

A new Windows8-section added !!! :

Best Regards
Uwe :)
i work with FW.
ukoenig

Postby norberto » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:19 pm

HI, have a new tip:

Windows 8 and RT browser IE10 (modern UI) have flash builtin, but allow only microsoft tested sites, here to expand , edit this :

C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml.

and add more whitelisted sites to use with flash.

regards
norberto

Postby norberto » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Using Remote desktop (RDP) to run existing Windows apps , Q&A : (how to, licencing)

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-surface ... 000006935/

Regards
norberto

Postby norberto » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Microsoft launch Compatibility center , http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... enter/home , you can see if your devices will run with Windows RT , Windows 8.
norberto

Postby norberto » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:10 pm

Let's review:

for $ 39, you can make the update of your xp, vista or 7, and won:

better memory management
boot faster
the start menu you can go back as described above, for free
7 compatibility
improved multi-tasking
among other improvements ...

is a bargain, you don't like the Modern UI? the desktop is the same thing of Win7, consider the new start menu a "bonus", you don't need to use it or new applications.
It is an update of the Win7, at minimum price, with the same things and you can continue working at the same way.
norberto

Postby norberto » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm

How to new Storage Spaces :

connect multiple data storage devices (internal and external) that rely on different interfaces (SATA hard drives, USB flash drives, and Serial Attached SCSI drives, for example) to your PC and treat them as a single giant storehouse dubbed your “storage pool.”

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2012847/ ... ows-8.html

Regards
norberto

Postby norberto » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:11 pm

Turning Hyper-V on

Windows 8 has Hyper-V built in, you can turn on with :

Key WIN-X, programms and resources, turn Windows features on or off, this open resources dialog, click on Hyper-V , select two options, done!

go to Hyper-V control in start menu and make your virtual machines.

Hyper-V only in Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise Versions.

Windows 8 Versions Compare:
norberto

Postby TimStone » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Stefan,

There is no difference in how programs operate in Win 8 desktop and Win 7 desktop. Just because programs are on the Start menu does not mean they must be run in full screen mode if they are in desktop mode. They can be whatever size you want.

People will stay with what works for them if they don't have to spend money. I have many many customers still running a DOS program ( 20 + years ) that never fails. They just don't want to spend the money. The learning curve is actually quite fast when updating to the Windows version ... but they don't want to spend the money. Of course they waste a lot of time, and for a business that is money, by staying on the DOS system ... and frustration is king ! But, they don't want to spend the money !

Tim
Tim Stone
TimStone

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour