Build version of fivewin libraries on MSVC

Build version of fivewin libraries on MSVC

Postby Giovany Vecchi » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:59 pm

What version of visual studio do the FiveHC32.lib and FiveH32.lib libs generate?
In this last visual studio 2022 update I noticed strange behavior of my program when running on windows 7.
I took all the prgs and .c files from fivewin source and generated the libs with MSVC version 17.2.6 and noticed that these behaviors did not occur again.
I don't really know what it is. I think there should be a compilation of the FW libraries as per the visual studio version.
I will continue with some tests from now on, it is still early to conclude the possible divergence that may occur.
Giovany Vecchi

Re: Build version of fivewin libraries on MSVC

Postby Antonio Linares » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:17 pm

Dear Giovanny,

We use Visual Studio Community 2022

> I noticed strange behavior of my program when running on windows 7

Could you please provide details of that "strange behavior" ? What is that ? Doing what ? when ? Please try to be concrete.

We are using 17.2.4. Maybe it is something fixed in 17.2.6

Anyhow, once you describe it, we will be able to get conclusions. Does it just happen on Windows 7 ?
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Giovany Vecchi » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:05 pm

> We are using 17.2.4. Maybe it is something fixed in 17.2.6

Yes, after this update these behaviors started.
It's not a fixed situation, it's random. And only on Windows 7.
When I call a function in activex sometimes it takes a while to execute.
A strange detail. I'm gonna explain.
I have many functions in activex, mainly in chilkat component.
When I call tOleAuto for the first time it sometimes takes about 4 seconds where it should be less than 1 second. But this is not a fixed rule, it often doesn't happen the first time and it can happen later too. This does not cause errors.
Using webbrowser activex on windows 7 this is more visible, but does not prevent execution.
Nor is it on all computers. A client of mine was complaining that this was happening, I decided to generate with Borland just for him and for that equipment that was presenting this. After I updated this computer the behavior stopped. So I tested it again generating in MSVC after I generated the libs in the new version of visual studio and it also stopped.
Also test GetProfString on windows 7 with MSVC. Some computers just shut down.
More like I said before: It's still early to conclude this behavior. It could be some procedure that I haven't identified yet.

My question would be if MSVC libs were generated in very old versions of MSVC. So, this question is ruled out.
Giovany Vecchi

Postby TimStone » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:38 am

I cannot be sure this applies, but I have seen some issues arising with Windows 7 and programs built with the latest Visual Studio 2022. I assume the following:

1). Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7, and they are not interested in maintaining backward compatiblility in future versions of Windows.
2). All programs will run fine in Windows 10 & 11, and probably even 8.
3). I had installed an update of my program built with VS 2022 and when placed on a clients Win 7 computer, it simply would not run. He decided to buy a new computer, copied over the files, and it ran perfectly. So we realized the issue was with Windows 7.

All future development for Microsoft will focus on Windows 10 & 11, and the build tools will be focused on those OS's. Most of my clients have updated to the newer OS by now, so it is rarely a problem.

This reminds me of the major networking changes they made several years ago that disabled many client server systems ( including ADS ). They never provided any way to work around the problems. It also messed with Oracle services. So I do not see them making any changes in the future to accomodate older OS operations.
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour