TimStone - MSVC 2015

TimStone - MSVC 2015

Postby MGA » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 pm

Tim Stone,

Please, i would like to know the advantages of compiling using Harbour64 + MSVC 2015.
ubiratanmga@gmail.com

FWH18.02
FWPPC
Harbour/xHarbour
xMate
Pelles´C
TDolphin
MGA

Re: TimStone - MSVC 2015

Postby TimStone » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:50 pm

I have two primary builds of my distributed application. Both are 32 bit versions.
Harbour / FWH / MSVC 2015: I get great results with this and have it distributed with my clients. It works well and has some features ( ie. taking pictures within the app ) that are only supported with this version.
xHarbour(.com) / FWH / Pelles C: I use this build for only one reason. Many of my clients have ADS 7 or 8, and I cannot get harbor libs to support those versions. I do have an xHarbour lib that works. This version has a few missing capabilities not supported by the Pelles compiler, and tends to be a bit slower. Clients complain it feels clunky versus the MSVC build.

I have used FWH 64 plus MSVC 2015 and a Harbour 64 bit build. It worked except I could not get 64 bit libraries for a few 3rd party products. One absolutely needed was the library for the spell checker. The company took the old version and built a 64 bit library, with little other modification, but refused to sell it at a reasonable price. They wanted far too much money. I think most other libraries were found. I had to set that aside for awhile since I couldn't lose the spell check capability, but I will be revisiting it again.

It is also interesting to note that most Microsoft applications ( ie. Office 365 programs ) are recommending the 32 bit version.

In conclusion, the 64 bit version of FWH works, and if you can find any add on libraries that you need, it's certainly worth trying it.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Re: TimStone - MSVC 2015

Postby MGA » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:08 am

TimStone,

thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

Your information is of great help, thank you!
ubiratanmga@gmail.com

FWH18.02
FWPPC
Harbour/xHarbour
xMate
Pelles´C
TDolphin
MGA

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour