Metro style

Re: Metro style

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Android (Google Inc.) — 104.8 million units, 68.1 percent share (46.9 percent a year earlier)

thats a fact. Its not an opinion. Its not an idea :-)

I am building -right now- Android OS (for x86) on my Linux (on iMac). Tell me, how could I do that if I were using iOS or Win phone ? :-)

Android is free as Google gets huge profits from advertising. Same as the TV business work.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Otto » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Hello Antonio,
As I am pragmatic I ask myself what for do I need it?
Best regards,
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby TimStone » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Smartphones ... not the whole picture

Consider this. There are over 1 Billion ( 1,000,000,000 ) legal copies of windows installed right now ... and who knows how many illegal ones.

As for the Android market ... how many of those phones are actually being used today ? I know people who have gone through several upgrades on their droids only to dump them later. Apple introduced the iPhone 5, and sold 5 million in just a few hours ! Sales have not slowed down since, and that's just the latest model.

Sales are strictly a reflection of what is available. My carrier has only carried 1 model of the Windows phone, and they are the largest in the US. They push droids all the time. That is ALL they advertise. Why ? Bigger profit. Has absolutely nothing to do with the customer's needs, quality, or anything else.

Anyway ... I need to get some real work done ! Its always fun to speculate on the future.
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
http://www.autoshopwriter.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Otto,

As nobody can see the future (neither us), we can only pay attention to trends.

See the Android use growth from past year to this year. What that means ? Why is such growth happening ?

What is that usefull for ? When I started learning Windows programming, many people said it was absurd. Business needed MsDos, not fancy images... I have been making my living for over 20 years cause I decided to learn to program Windows :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby norberto » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:27 pm

Android? No thanks.

you forgot to say that only 15% of those numbers is in the last version, others are in previous versions ,incompatible, and that would be a nightmare to make applications for these incompatible versions of smartphones. Android in PCs? Linux in 40 years have only 1% of Market.

In addition, anyone buying a smartphone and don't want to pay for software, also don't want to pay for applications, this and a fact.

plus, depending on the of apple legal actions against the android, it surely will be banned in many countries, or will have to change basic functionality like zoom in a photo (patent from apple) or pay patents to apple, Microsoft, etc... all OEM of Android pays to Microsoft , except Motorola-Google, at today.

Well, in 30 days, we will know the future of Windows 8 ... so relax and wait.
norberto

Postby TimStone » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:41 pm

I should add from my experience.

I went to my carrier's store to view the Windows 7 phone. The salesman immediately tried to get me to by a Droid. I told him I was thinking Win 7 phone, or an iPhone, and he didn't want me to see either one.

Most of his income is from commissions, and he only gets the better bonus if he sells Droids.

So I went to the Microsoft Store and they showed me the phone !

I have sent many people ( clients ) to consider the Windows phone because soon they may be able to use it to do some work with my software. Every time, the sales people pushed them to the Droids ! I don't work with Droids, so they lose.

I have many friends who bought droids, and then dumped them, either for a newer phone that could run current apps, or because they disliked them so much.

So why do they have the sales figures ? Because the sales people push them on customers who really don't know any better.

Apple has 98 % loyalty with iPhones. Windows 7 has 98% loyalty with their users. These figures are from studies conducted here. Droid loyalty ? Not so much. Droid users are always looking to find something else. Apple users only upgrade to new iphones when released. Windows users are waiting for the Win 8 phones. Droid users ... well they are looking for alternatives.

Have you actually used a Windows phone for any long period of time ? I've had mine about a year, and I've never been happier with a phone. I bought my wife an iPhone and she has never been happier ! In my extended family, and friends, no one owns a droid ! Some did, but no more !
Tim Stone
Using: FWH 23.10 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022-24 32/64 bit
TimStone

Postby norberto » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:55 pm

my happy family : (the White phone is from my girlfriend)

plus one htc titan II with Windows phone 8 leaked. this is in home, in work i have more tools with Windows 8 RTM.

No tablets, Waiting real and userfull tablets (Surface pro.)

Regards

BTW: FWH appl Works fine in Windows 8 desktop.
Last edited by norberto on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
norberto

Postby TimStone » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:03 am

Right now I'm using:
Samsung All In One Desktop with Win 8 RTM
Samsung 17" Notebook with Win 8 RTM
Samsung Series 7 Slate with Win 8 RTM
Toshiba Portege 13" Notebook with Win 8 RTM
HTC Win 7 phone
iPad w/ iOS6
Kindle Touch

Everything Windows works fine. iOS6 is buggy. The Kindle Touch ( not android ) works well.
Tim Stone
TimStone

Postby norberto » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:51 am

Otto,

for Windows 8 RT not yeat. My priority is to develop for Windows phone. is a heated market ...
I know a friend who did a simple application and placed it in the marketplace, in 3 months had more than 50000 downloads and sold more than 15000 copies.

I am developing an application for Windows phone now, but I am interested in developing for Windows 8 too.
norberto

Postby Armin Thurner » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:50 am

Otto wrote:Hello Antonio,
thank you for your response and offer.

The most important at the moment is the combobox with style DropDown.
That user can either enter a text or just select an item from the list.

Reinaldo,
For us Metro like style is very important.
As we install all our software to use through remote server we need these controls.
Many of the servers are 2008 servers so they don’t support true windows 8 metro.
But we want look and feel like true windows 8 apps for our apps.

Windows 8 metro is a design concept and I think independent of the OS. I am sure we will see “Metro like” apps on all OS in the future.
It is a new way of designing. Focusing on the main tasks and understanding that the users are not multitasking – capable.

Converting existing programs to Metro style is not as easy as it looks at first sight.
Think how much all of our programs evolved. First you have a button than functionality gets more complex and you change the button to a popup button.
Then these popup menus get very complex. Converting to metro then means to take out the complexity make the program useable at a fingertip and without a learning curve.

Best regards,
Otto

Hi Otto,Antonio and others
I think a very simple way is to change icons and buttons .bmp,.ico etc with Metrolike pictures. Than make the buttons greater with a resource editor and install the touch
screen api availabe from windows.
You can work with touch screen input.
It works whith my programms.
rgds
Armin
Thanks Armin
Armin Thurner

Postby Antonio Linares » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:20 am

Norberto,

I feel myself like a F1 expert driver: I can drive any car and I can turn it into a winner. I am not a fan boy :-)

I enjoy to feel free from marketing preasures. I use what I want, the way I want it. The way I need it.

I don't need Microsoft, Apple, neither Google to tell me what I have to do or use. I take my own desitions

When I see fan people that just want to know about one company: Apple, Microsoft or Google, I feel that they are puppets managed by those large corporations
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby norberto » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:02 am

Antonio,

I am moved by who provides the best and most innovative technology to make my business and earn money, and at the moment, looking at the business side, who has the best technology for servers, virtualization, cloud, desktop, tablets, smartphones, consoles, is Microsoft.
I want to drive this car, like everyone in formula 1 they want to drive a Ferrari or McLaren, don't want to drive something without innovations or obsolete or a bungled copies of something else. or when i dont make Money or dont have support.

I'm a fanboy of who provides resources to make money and be on the latest technology, with the useful and the pleasant.

at now. fwh+windows give me the Money, but i looking for make my appls run in new places like smartphones, tablets, cloud.

best regards

Norberto
Last edited by norberto on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
norberto

Postby Antonio Linares » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 am

Norberto,

Then enjoy your own desition and don't try to convince others about your desition :-)

When we act like preachers, in fact we are their puppets... :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby norberto » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:15 am

Antonio,

I'm only commenting on the topic (about metro) and saying that I liked, moreover, this forum here is on fivewin for Windows, if I were commenting on this forum about fivewin for Linux ...
I think my comments and TIM or Otto are relevant, unless it now the Forum will call fivetechlinux, Oh yeah shouldn't comment.
And I don't want to convert anyone just I am reporting my experiences and sharing with colleagues. :P

anyway, convince me or show someone who is earning money with Linux or android programs, their applications to run on any device, and not only in the last versions, which supports, that I move to Linux/android now. :roll: ( im talking in BIG Money, in make an appl , submit to marketplace and sell 20000 , 50000 copies in all globe, all languages)

best regards
Last edited by norberto on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
norberto

Postby Antonio Linares » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:22 am

Then relax and enjoy the conversation. No need to offend others :-)

I am not willing to convince anybody about anything. And I ask the same respect to others...
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour