New controls for FWH

Re: New controls for FWH

Postby hua » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:35 am

Marco Turco wrote:We urgently need FWH embedded class to manage DIRECTLY and in easly way SQL database like Sqlite (it is coming a standard database for stand-alone/small network) and Firebird (for larger network/web solution) without the use of ODBC, ADO and other interfaces !!!
That's all. Any opinion appreciated.

If by "directly" you mean without having to install an ODBC or ADO driver, work was started to manipulate firebird using its api. It's a class in Harbour/xHarbour contrib folder. Unfortunately it was never declared as completed and there doesn't seem to be an active pool of programmers updating it after the initial work was done. So it's kinda risky using it unless one is a proficient C programmer who can update the code when necessary. I for one am interested in this class but have to shelve it as I don't know C
FWH 11.08/FWH 19.12
BCC5.82/BCC7.3
xHarbour/Harbour
hua

Postby Pritpal Bedi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:41 am

Hello Everybody

Marco Turco wrote:IN MY OPINION WE MUST CONCENTRATE OUR ATTENTION ON THE DATABASE MANAGEMENT AT THIS MOMENT !!!!

Sorry to jump in, which I just accidently clicked this thread, but it may be relevant, is to inform you that a true Database RDD is already exist here. Have a look at

http://www.vouch.info/cacherdd/

Though I have yet to decide which way I should move, still you can make out some assertions..

Regards
Pritpal Bedi
enjoy hbIDEing...
Pritpal Bedi
http://hbide.vouch.info/
Pritpal Bedi

Postby Otto » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:53 am

George,
>It's critical to our future, as [x]Harbour + FWH programmers, moving ASAP from DBF to a more standardized database.

I think it depends on the application you have and the number of currently users.
For my purpose dbf is ok.
Best regards,
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modharbour.club
Otto

Postby Antonio Linares » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:35 am

Pritpal,

Pritpal Bedi wrote:Hello Everybody

Marco Turco wrote:IN MY OPINION WE MUST CONCENTRATE OUR ATTENTION ON THE DATABASE MANAGEMENT AT THIS MOMENT !!!!

Sorry to jump in, which I just accidently clicked this thread, but it may be relevant, is to inform you that a true Database RDD is already exist here. Have a look at

http://www.vouch.info/cacherdd/

Though I have yet to decide which way I should move, still you can make out some assertions..

Regards
Pritpal Bedi

Very interesting :-)

I wonder if a similar RDD exists for Sqlite. It would be very usefull
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby mgsoft » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:06 am

Antonio,

Eagle one from Manu Esposito has a RDD!;)
Saludos,

Eduardo
mgsoft

Postby Antonio Linares » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:26 am

Marco,

According to mgsoft information, Eagle from Manu Exposito provides a Sqlite RDD :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Otto » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:53 am

George,

To my previous mail:

DBF

For example in AUSTRIA the only database files you may use as export files are dbf files:

Zurverfügungstellung von Daten auf Datenträgern gem. §§131 und 132 BAO, jeweils Abs. 3, letzter Satz
1.3.1 Zulässige Exportformate
DBF-Dateien
Zusätzlich sind DBF-Dateien (z.B. dBase 3 oder dBase IV) zulässig. Dieses Format wird Dateiformaten, die Trennzeichen oder feste Feldbreite verwenden, gleichgestellt.

Therefore as you use dbf-files you don’t have to care about export.
Best regards,
Otto
modharbour.org
Otto

Postby RAMESHBABU » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:47 pm

Hello Mr.Pritpal,

I have gone through the features of "CacheRDD" and they are really superb.

Where is this RDD available? and is it a commercial product ?

- Regards

- Ramesh Babu P
RAMESHBABU

Postby lailton.webmaster » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:58 pm

I think is Free.
because show in home page "Open-Source"
lailton.webmaster

Postby Marco Turco » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi all,
I'm glad other programmers found my point of view interesting.

Just a precisation to be clear.
An RDD to manage Sqlite/Firebird is not a solution but a problem.

The success of Firebird database depends by diffenent caracteristics of this database,
but in primis to the fact that Firebird can operate not only as client/server architecture but also in "embedded mode" as we work now with the dbf architecture.
Due to the fact that a software products generally has always a stand-alone version and a network version in order to cover all market segment then with Firebird we can have an optimized database architecture for either the environment.

I made some tests with a Delphi app that use Firebird as "embedded mode" and it is really fast. It doesn't require any customer settings to operate in this local environment and can also be installed in client/server mode setting the usual parameters.

Sqlite has similar advantages. It is born for stand-alone/small network but there is also now a client/server module.

The problem usindg an RDD is that due to the fact it trasnforms the DBF command in SQL query it can't optimize the query in function of the environment (embedded local or client/server with a lack of performance. The only solution is using directly the SQL query through the RDD but why we have to use an RDD then ?

In my opinion we have to learn the SQL syntax and use it directly.
I learned the syntax in just two days, for which reason are we looking for an RDD that often is buggy and not regulary updated ?

We already have some Sqlite and Firebird class to manage these database directly whithout RDD, ADO and ODBC but simply using FWH directly,
the problem is that the Firebird class is an Harbour/xHarbour development and it is not finished
and for Sqlite there is a class developed only for Harbour that could be ported to xHarbour and another class already is finished (I'm using it) but not released to public domain .

So, Antonio would have a starting point immediatly.
Best Regards,

Marco Turco
SOFTWARE XP LLP
Marco Turco

Postby Marco Turco » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:44 pm

Otto,
I think it just depends that the market pressure you have.

As I remember we opened a similar thread regarding the FWH Preview and Report system.
I suggested to the FWH users FastReport as solution,
you suggested EasyReport/EasyPreview that was the system you used in your app as a perfect solution
also if I advised you that that product was too limited and not regulary update.

You recently - quickly - migrated :wink: to FastReport as I can see on the Forum.

Well, anyone can take the wrong choice. I took wrong choices in the past.

The problem is that we are speaking about the optimal database archicture to use for our app for the next years that will permit us to interactively operate on different device, remotely if needed and in local and multiuser environment. We can also take a wrong decision on a preview system because we can find an alternative solution in a reasonable time but if a competitor will appair you with features that DBF's cannot have you won't have the reasonable time needed to change your database architecture to an Sqlite/Firebird database system.

Otto wrote:George,
>It's critical to our future, as [x]Harbour + FWH programmers, moving ASAP from DBF to a more standardized database.

I think it depends on the application you have and the number of currently users.
For my purpose dbf is ok.
Best regards,
Otto
Best Regards,

Marco Turco
SOFTWARE XP LLP
Marco Turco

Postby Richard Chidiak » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:52 pm

I agree with Marco

It is definitely true that we need to find an alternative solution to DBF and a fast and reliable solution,

We are "out of the game" when we are in competition with other software vendors. Here in France DBF is dead since several years , very few people using it.

RDD is not my choice neither,

Similar to Marco, i have learned Sql also (been on a training few times for that), we can not ignore "this world" , we have to find a clever approach to move into this world without "rewriting all our applications" and this is where we rely on Antonio

I beleive in Antonio, Fivewin is fantastic. It is part of our lives now. I am sure he will lead us in the right direction,

My 2 cents,

Richard
http://www.cbati.com

Uestudio
Fwh 13.05 Harbour 3.2 MSVC 2013
Richard Chidiak

Postby Otto » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Marco,
Now reading that there is a standalone version of Firebird and that you think of a class to manage these database directly I am supporting your suggestion. I didn’t know that and in many cases a own database server is not necessary.

Best regrads,
Otto
modharbour.org
Otto

Postby alvaro533 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Hello,

.. a class to manage these database directly ..

I migrated one of my programs to MySQL using fwh with ADO and it works fine. I use the same SQL sentences that I use in another part I migrated to PHP. What is the advantange of managing the database directly instead of ADO ? Speed?

Thank you in advance.

Alvaro

ps. I also thing SQL is the way to go in the near future.
alvaro533

Postby Marco Turco » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:09 am

Hi Alvaro,
the use of thirth part components like ADO, ODBC, RDD
1. reduce the transaction perfromance for sure (as I know there are also problem with extended ascii character set with ADO)
2. we always have to install, check, update this component
3. .. and most important.. there are an increasing number of customers that are migrating from Windows to Apple and Linux. Now at this moment we can easly run our apps on those OS using Wine/CrossOver changing just some line of code (in my core business 17MB app I changed about 20 lines of code !!) but - as I know - ADO is not available on Mac/Linux, ODBC is not really stable. I don't know about SQL RDD but as I told before in my opinion SQL RDD is a no sense.

Sqlite has a SINGLE lib to link to our app, we can have a single executable self-contained !!
This is a sample with executable, test prg and sqlite class (rights reserved from ssbbs)
http://www.softwarexp.co.uk/beta/sqlite.zip

Firebird has just some DLL to copy into our app dir !!

At least, there is another great feature with Sqlite and Firebird:
we can manage - if we want - all the data in a single self-contained database and this is optimal for example in a IPad or small device (Palm with WinCE etc).

alvaro533 wrote:Hello,

.. a class to manage these database directly ..

I migrated one of my programs to MySQL using fwh with ADO and it works fine. I use the same SQL sentences that I use in another part I migrated to PHP. What is the advantange of managing the database directly instead of ADO ? Speed?

Thank you in advance.

Alvaro

ps. I also thing SQL is the way to go in the near future.
Best Regards,

Marco Turco
SOFTWARE XP LLP
Marco Turco

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour