Migrate to Harbour

Re: Migrate to Harbour

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:23 pm

Antonio,

Antonio Linares wrote:Enrico,

To enable #untranslate in Harbour it seems as it has to be built without using HB_CLP_STRICT.

if you need it, then I may build a Harbour for you without such flag. Just let me know it and I will build it for you :-)

Thank you. No, I don't really need it. I did a search on all my PRGs and CHs and found only one occurrence in a sample. :-)

Antonio Linares wrote:Regarding those flags, and other differences that you may find, its great that you report them here, so we may ask about them in the Harbour developers list (in case you don't want to do it personally) ;-)

Yes, please. :-)

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:12 pm

Second FWH compilation. I'm just trying to compile TGraph sample by Rao:

Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_CTOT' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|VALBLANK
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_HB_COMPILEFROMBUF' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|HARBOUR
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_TOLEAUTO' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|HARBOUR
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_HHASKEY' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|FWDECODE
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_TTOS' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|ADOFUNCS
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_GETACTIVEOBJECT' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|OLEFUNCS
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_CREATEOBJECT' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|OLEFUNCS
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN___OLEVARIANTNEW' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|OLEFUNCS
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_ANSITOWIDE' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|TGET
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_DATETIME' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|PRV2PDF
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_HB_DECODE' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|XBROWSE
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_WILDMATCH' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|XBROWSE
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_NUMTOHEX' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|XBROWSE
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_STRTOHEX' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|XBROWSE
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_HEXTOSTR' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|XBROWSE
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_HB_CODEPAGE_CS852' referenced from E:\HARBOUR\LIB\RTL.LIB|langcomp
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_HB_CODEPAGE_DE850' referenced from E:\HARBOUR\LIB\RTL.LIB|langcomp
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_HB_CODEPAGE_EL737' referenced from E:\HARBOUR\LIB\RTL.LIB|langcomp
Error: Unresolved external '_HB_FUN_NOTIFY' referenced from E:\FWHARBOUR\LIB\FIVEH.LIB|WINDOW

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Soved adding:

xhb
hbcplr
hbpp
hbwin
hbcpage

Are they the right ones?

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Regarding the size of the EXEs (TGraph sample by Rao):

xHarbour: 2.566.656
Harbour: 3.017.728

Why this big difference?

Size matters! :-)

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Antonio Linares » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:23 am

Enrico,

The difference in sizes is precisely because Harbour is much more advanced now that xHarbour and has more code into it, but code that it is really good and needed to work the way Harbour does.

Also, these days, that difference in size is not really important. I know that you were a spectrum user, same as me :-) but those days are over, and now those sizes really mean nothing for modern computers.

Trust me, Harbour is much better. Give it a try, run your apps built with it, and you will realize that it is as I say. I know how you feel regarding Prezmek attitude, but he is really a great programmer even if he is so bad on personal relationships. It doesn't matter. Harbour belongs to all of us, even if he often thinks and acts as he were the "owner" (its his illusion) :-)

If I have time one of these days I will estimate the real cost of Harbour in terms of hours of development and cost per hour. And the fact is that thanks to Przemek and others, we have a compiler that would have been impossible to build without their help (it would have been extremelly expensive for a company). See what happened to xbase++. They choosed the typical company and commercial way, as many others, and these days thats a no way to go. Only going on open source this project became a success. So don't worry about any of them, the fact is that Harbour is a reality and it is for all of us and really belongs to all of us :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:57 am

Antonio,

Antonio Linares wrote:The difference in sizes is precisely because Harbour is much more advanced now that xHarbour and has more code into it, but code that it is really good and needed to work the way Harbour does.

Ok, we will see. At the moment, I see nothing more than a bloated EXE.

Antonio Linares wrote:Also, these days, that difference in size is not really important. I know that you were a spectrum user, same as me :-) but those days are over, and now those sizes really mean nothing for modern computers.

Size still matters on network.

Antonio Linares wrote:Trust me, Harbour is much better. Give it a try, run your apps built with it, and you will realize that it is as I say.

That's why I'm trying to use it.

Antonio Linares wrote:I know how you feel regarding Prezmek attitude, but he is really a great programmer even if he is so bad on personal relationships. It doesn't matter. Harbour belongs to all of us, even if he often thinks and acts as he were the "owner" (its his illusion) :-)

I'm a bit concerned due to the fact that he already leave a project so who can guarantee that he don't act so bad again?

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:57 am

Antonio,

Antonio Linares wrote:I know that you were a spectrum user, same as me :-)

:-)

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Antonio Linares » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:47 am

Enrico,

Przemek keeps working very actively on the project, please review this recent changelog (just a portion of it):

2014-06-27 17:20 UTC+0200 Przemyslaw Czerpak (druzus/at/poczta.onet.pl)
* src/rdd/delim1.c
* src/rdd/sdf1.c
+ added support for importing TIME and TIMESTAMP fields
from SDF and DELIM RDDs

2014-06-27 14:53 UTC+0200 Przemyslaw Czerpak (druzus/at/poczta.onet.pl)
* contrib/hbwin/olecore.c
* added workaround for missing DISP_E_BUFFERTOOSMALL declaration
in some older C compilers i.e. BCC 5.5

2014-06-27 12:45 UTC+0200 Przemyslaw Czerpak (druzus/at/poczta.onet.pl)
* src/common/hbfopen.c
* use _wfopen() instead of fopen() in MS-Windows UNICODE builds of
hb_fopen(). It means that now hb_fopen() makes exactly the same file
name conversions as hb_fs*() Harbour RTL functions, i.e. hb_fsOpen()

In fact Vikthor and him are mutually cooperating even if Vikthor has created a fork (Przemek is pushing changes in Vikthor's fork and I am sure that Vikthor is paying very good attention to Przemek changes), surely for not to listen to Przemek (this is just a guess, I may be wrong) :-)

Recently I have contacted the Harbour dev list to ask for tech support and also to report bugs, and I got an excellent response (quick and very respectfull) from Klas Engwall, Aleksander Czajczyński and others. As you can see those developers are new ones (or at least I was not aware of them) so the work on Harbour is intense and very much professional, so to me there is no concern at all. In fact Klas commented me this:

Maybe it was reserved for an upcoming stable release of 3.2 ... but it is probably time to jump to 4.0 when that happens anyway.

So they are considering in a near future to officially publish Harbour 4.0 and this is a very clear sign of the healthy and excellent progress that Harbour is doing. Honestly, I don't follow xHarbour changelogs (I saw you posted some changes recently) but to me, I must say (and hopefully Patrick Mast does not get ungry with me for saying this) that even Patrick Mast contacted me some time ago and explained me that he was even considering to drop xHarbour and move to Harbour. That does not need any extra comments, right ? (Patrick, I am sorry for telling a private conversation between you and me, but this is very important and should be known). Also I meet personally Ron Pinkas in Marbella (he came to the hospital and visited my father and me. This was very nice from him. He was very kind with me as we know each other personally since many years ago and we are good friends, even if we had our little disputes sometimes. And I really don't want to hurt them with these comments. I just want to help my users, its my must) and he told me that he does not longer do much coding, just some things for some private customers.

Now many of you will understand why I insist so much that you must migrate to Harbour, because I always support my users. I have been doing it for many years, many of you know that I am telling the truth as I use to do :-)

Thats all :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:37 am

Antonio,

ok, I'm sure I'm going to have no problem soon compiling my application with both compilers so I can easily switch from one to the other. :-)

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Kleyber » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:08 pm

Antonio Linares wrote:
So they are considering in a near future to officially publish Harbour 4.0 and this is a very clear sign of the healthy and excellent progress that Harbour is doing. Honestly, I don't follow xHarbour changelogs (I saw you posted some changes recently) but to me, I must say (and hopefully Patrick Mast does not get ungry with me for saying this) that even Patrick Mast contacted me some time ago and explained me that he was even considering to drop xHarbour and move to Harbour. That does not need any extra comments, right ? (Patrick, I am sorry for telling a private conversation between you and me, but this is very important and should be known). Also I meet personally Ron Pinkas in Marbella (he came to the hospital and visited my father and me. This was very nice from him. He was very kind with me as we know each other personally since many years ago and we are good friends, even if we had our little disputes sometimes. And I really don't want to hurt them with these comments. I just want to help my users, its my must) and he told me that he does not longer do much coding, just some things for some private customers.

Now many of you will understand why I insist so much that you must migrate to Harbour, because I always support my users. I have been doing it for many years, many of you know that I am telling the truth as I use to do :-)

Thats all :-)

Antonio,
Good point and it´s really a good reason to move to Harbour. I'm going to do this ASAP.
Kleyber Derick

FWH / xHb / xDevStudio / SQLLIB
Kleyber

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:22 pm

The following sample gives a warning:

Code: Select all  Expand view
#include "Fivewin.ch"

FUNCTION MAIN()

LOCAL oWnd, oMen

MENU oMen
        MENUITEM "Test" ACTION MSGINFO( "OK" )
    ENDMENU

DEFINE WINDOW oWnd;
           MENU oMen

ACTIVATE WINDOW oWnd

RETURN NIL

Warning message:

Code: Select all  Expand view
Warning W0004  Codeblock parameter 'OMENUITEM' declared but not used in function 'MAIN'

I use /wb- in xHarbour. Any replacement in Harbour or any other solution?

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Pritpal Bedi » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:33 am

Hi Antonio

> Harbour belongs to all of us, even if he often thinks and acts as he were the "owner" (its his illusion)

I feel a developer of your stature must not utter such words.

Przemek never claimed nor pretended to be the "owner" of Harbour. From the core of our hearts we all know
that Harbour of today, that we know of and boast of, is mainly due to his single-handed core contributions.
And we must respect the __MASTER__ in whatever mood he might be in at some point of time.

Having said, I also appreciate the way you are speaking high of him, and also promoting Harbour, thanks.
Whatever you said about Harbour is correct, a rock solid compiler. And it is also my advice that we all must
move towards one compiler and support it in whatever way we can.

Pritpal Bedi
a student of software analysis & concepts
enjoy hbIDEing...
Pritpal Bedi
http://hbide.vouch.info/
Pritpal Bedi

Postby Antonio Linares » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:48 am

Dear Pritpal,

many thanks for sharing your opinions, you can freely express yourself here on these forums. I also like to freely express myself here (not just here but in my whole life outside these forums) and I apologize if some of may words could offend someone. Its not my intention.

Lots of people greatly contributed to Harbour along the years to make Harbour what it is today. Its good to remember all of them and not just think that someone is the only responsable for being Harbour what it is.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby Enrico Maria Giordano » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:44 am

Pritpal,

Pritpal Bedi wrote:Przemek never claimed nor pretended to be the "owner" of Harbour.

I left Harbour mainly for Viktor attitude not Przemek. Only for clarify things. Przemek helped xHarbour project a few time in the recent past.

EMG
Enrico Maria Giordano

Postby Antonio Linares » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:28 am

Enrico,

Both Przemek and Vikthor have hugely contributed to Harbour, their technical skills are outstanding.

What I just meant is that on personal relationships, IMO, they fail sometimes. Thats all.

For instance, a few days ago I sent an email to Vikthor regarding his fork (for tech support) and got no answer at all from him yet.

Some days ago I asked in the list about your OleDefaultArg() question (for second time) and see a portion of his response:

When I've seen the first message asking about OleDefaultArg()
I thought it's a joke and for sure harbour-devel list it's
not the place to ask about some basic OLE functionality in
Harbour. Please send such messages to harbour-user list in the
future.

When someone ask for tech support it is not a "joke". A "joke" is to get an answer like that :-)

But from a tech point of view, there is no objection at all from my side :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour