Office 2010 Access accdb files from ADO

Office 2010 Access accdb files from ADO

Postby Antonio Linares » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Have someone managed to open an accdb (Office 2010 Access) file using ADO ?

The usual connection string for ADO and Access reports unrecognized internal format. So I googled for it and found this:
"Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0"

I changed the provider and now it reported that such provider is not installed. So I guess that the access engine that is included in Windows does not support such provider. Is Office 2010 required to manage those files ?

thanks,
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Re: Office 2010 Access accdb files from ADO

Postby lucasdebeltran » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Antonio,

You have to install this driver:

http://www.microsoft.com/es-es/download ... x?id=13255
Muchas gracias. Many thanks.

Un saludo, Best regards,

Harbour 3.2.0dev, Borland C++ 5.82 y FWH 13.06 [producción]

Implementando MSVC 2010, FWH64 y ADO.

Abandonando uso xHarbour y SQLRDD.
lucasdebeltran

Postby Rick Lipkin » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Antonio

Indeed .. MS now has a oledb 12 client for .AccDb ( 32 and 64 bit ) :( .. If you use .mdb Jet is still ( quietly ) supported ( win 8 ) but only in 32 bit ( wow32 ) . Also .. SqlOleDb 32 bit is still supported on Sql Express Server 2012 ( again quietly )

Rick Lipkin

From Microsoft :
This download will install a set of components that facilitate the transfer of data between existing Microsoft Office files such as Microsoft Office Access 2010 (*.mdb and *.accdb) files and Microsoft Office Excel 2010 (*.xls, *.xlsx, and *.xlsb) files to other data sources such as Microsoft SQL Server. Connectivity to existing text files is also supported. ODBC and OLEDB drivers are installed for application developers to use in developing their applications with connectivity to Office file formats.

The Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable is not intended:

As a general replacement for Jet (If you need a general replacement for Jet you should use SQL Server Express Edition).
As a replacement for the Jet OLEDB Provider in server-side applications.
As a general word processing, spreadsheet or database management system -To be used as a way to create files. (You can use Microsoft Office or Office automation to create the files that Microsoft Office supports.)
To be used by a system service or server-side program where the code will run under a system account, or will deal with multiple users identities concurrently, or is highly reentrant and expects stateless behavior. Examples would include a program that is run from task scheduler when no user is logged in, or a program called from server-side web application such as ASP.NET, or a distributed component running under COM+ services.

System Requirements
Supported Operating System

Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-Bit x86), Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 editions, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 3

Only the 32-bit Access Database Engine may be used on Windows XP Service Pack 3

Rick Lipkin

Postby nageswaragunupudi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:18 am

FWH functions:

FW_CreateMDB( "test.accdb" ) creates accdb database and
FW_OpenAdoConnection( "test.accdb" ) opens accdb database and connects to it if ACE 12.0 provider is downloaded and installed on the computer. If MS Access 2010 is installed on the computer ACE 12.0 is automatically installed.

Sameway if SQLNCLI?? client ( Microsoft SQL Server Native client ) is installed, this client is used by FWH while connecting to SQL Server or SQLEXPRESS, instead of SQLOLEDB.
Regards

G. N. Rao.
Hyderabad, India
nageswaragunupudi

Postby Rick Lipkin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Rao

I know we all better get used to installing some sort of Ole Provider sometime soon if we are going to connect to Sql Server 2012 and Access 2013 and beyond.

For now, I have tested jet for .mdb on 64 bit machines with a 32 bit .exe without any problems and I have tested SqlOleDb successfully connecting via 32 bit to Sql Express 2012 even though there is NO mention of SqlOleDb support.

For how long ?? I know MS is pushing their ACE and SQLNCLI clients and probably we need to move in that direction .. I just dis-like having to deploy an application that needs a client setup to run ( like dotnet ) .. however as we both know Oracle has ALWAYS needed an Ole client :(

Rick LIpkin
Rick Lipkin

Postby nageswaragunupudi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:11 pm

For now, I have tested jet for .mdb on 64 bit machines with a 32 bit .exe without any problems and I have tested SqlOleDb successfully connecting via 32 bit to Sql Express 2012 even though there is NO mention of SqlOleDb support.

This is enough for now.
We keep ourselves equipped with ole 12.0 and native clients and have flexible connectivity
Regards

G. N. Rao.
Hyderabad, India
nageswaragunupudi

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour