GIT

GIT

Postby Colin Haig » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:45 am

Hi All

Is anyone using GIT for source control - are you deleting all cdx's ,ppo's ,c and obj files before creating a repository.

Any other things to look out for.

Colin
Colin Haig

Re: GIT

Postby Antonio Linares » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:27 am

Colin,

We migrated FWH from SVN to GIT some months ago. We choosed www.bitbucket.org as it allows you to have private projects too and its interface is clean and easy to use. It worked fantastic migrating from SVN, all SVN commits smoothly went to GIT :-)

We are not using all its potential as it takes some time to adapt to it, so we are still learning it. But for basic pull, commit and push, its very good.

There are some drawbacks too. For instance, the fact that every user has a whole copy of the repository, makes it much slower when you want to do a clean checkout (git clone). On those cases as you get everything again, it is much slower than SVN.

The latest I have learned about it is to "read" the lines that bitbucket paints at the left side of your commits. If you work from different computers, you will see those lines and look similar to an underground trains map. Understanding them its tricky :-)

I have already tried with forks (works great on bitbucket) and started with branches, but it takes time to learn them and at the same time not to break or loose anything :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby thefull » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi

You have create file .gitignore with this content, per example;
/obj/*.o32
/obj/*.hrb
*.map
*.tds
*.bc

This file tells git that does not control it.
Saludos
Rafa Carmona ( rafa.thefullARROBAgmail.com___quitalineas__)
thefull

Postby Antonio Linares » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:12 am

Rafa,

We are using TortoiseGit and it automatically identifies the files that are under version control and the ones that aren't :-)

I do like GIT very very much. It has made me understand a lot of new possibilites and still I want to keep learning more as I think its a key tool in data management and cooperative developments :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Postby thefull » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Dear Antonio, I told you that Git was very good;-)

To find out what files are being followed or not as simple as git status

An alternative for Windows and Mac, is to use SourceTree.

Another is gitk, seems rudimentary, but I assure you is one of the most powerful and is part of git.

But in the end, as the command line, none;-)

regards

[ SPANISH]
Querido Antonio, ya te dije que Git era muy bueno ;-)

Para saber que ficheros se están siguiendo o no, tan simple como el comando git status

Una alternativa para Windows y Mac, es usar SourceTree.

Otro es gitk, parece rudimentario, pero te aseguro que es uno de los más potentes y forma parte de git.

Pero al final, como la linea de comandos, ninguno ;-)

Saludos
Saludos
Rafa Carmona ( rafa.thefullARROBAgmail.com___quitalineas__)
thefull

Postby cnavarro » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Rafa, Antonio
Right now I'm using VisualSVN Server Manager with Tortoise in a Windows 2003 server. Very simple and so far perfect for my needs.
I want to update me on another Windows Server 2012 and start with GIT
What I have to install?
Is there a similar tool to manage repositories on the server?
I read somewhere SSH problems, etc.. and read some GITBLIT but would like to know your opinion.
regards

[SPANISH]
Rafa, Antonio
En estos momentos estoy usando VisualSVN Server Manager con Tortoise en un servidor Windows 2003. Muy sencilla y hasta ahora perfecta para mis necesidades.
Quiero actualizarme en otro equipo con Windows Server 2012 y empezar con GIT
Qué he de instalar?
Hay alguna herramienta parecida para gestionar los repositorios en el servidor?
He leido por ahi problemas con SSH, etc. y leido algo de GITBLIT pero desearia saber tu opinion.
Saludos
Cristobal Navarro
Hay dos tipos de personas: las que te hacen perder el tiempo y las que te hacen perder la noción del tiempo
El secreto de la felicidad no está en hacer lo que te gusta, sino en que te guste lo que haces
cnavarro

Postby Antonio Linares » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Cristobal,

Solo tienes que instalar TortoiseGIT y para alojar tus proyectos gratuitamente y de forma privada en http://www.bitbucket.org

Visita http://www.bitbucket.org y verás que es muy intuitivo y realmente potente :-)

Además puedes migrar de forma realmente sencilla tu proyecto desde SVN a GIT. En www.bitbucket.org te explican como hacerlo
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Return to FiveWin for Harbour/xHarbour